Friday, July 10, 2009

51 Frugal Goals for a Birthday Weekend

It's the birthday weekend, and I'm celebrating the 51st candle on my slice of lifetime cake.

With a gin and tonic and a lime-scented spirit of frugality, I am making these 51 wishes (goals) for the next 12-month period.


  1. To save an extra $5,000 in my retirement account.



  2. To spend less money on junk food.



  3. To write 51 letters (snail mail) -- roughly one letter per week.



  4. To write or revise 51 poems.



  5. Read 51 books on finance or business development.



  6. Read 51 books on spirituality and personal development.



  7. To fine tune my strategy for the next 51 years.



  8. To have 51 sugar-free days a year. (One day each week without sweets.)



  9. Cook or bake 51 new recipes.



  10. To giveaway 51 bits of clothing, books or merchandise that I don't need.



  11. To compete 51 acts of random kindness.



  12. To make 51 new friends on Twitter.



  13. To finally open a Facebook account.



  14. To have a 51 clutter-busting days: one per week.



  15. Create and update photo books and scrapbooks for my kids.



  16. Commit to 51 special one-on-one moments with each of my three kids: Special notes or activities.



  17. To do 51 extra sit-ups each week.



  18. 51 minutes of meditation each week.



  19. To let others speak 51 words for every word I speak.



  20. 51 manicures...fresh polish each week with either DIY or periodic salon splurge.



  21. 51 facials and deep conditions.



  22. 51 pedicures.



  23. 51 new pairs of shoes ---just joking! How about: 51 sunrise yoga sessions.



  24. Regular conversations with family members.



  25. Create 51 new play lists featuring Anita Baker, Steely Dan and my other favorite artists.



  26. To take 51 new photos of my family and dog.



  27. To get all of my annual checkups.



  28. Encourage family and friends to get all of their checkups.



  29. To make amends to everyone I have offended.



  30. To get up 51 minutes earlier.



  31. To go to sleep 51 minutes earlier.



  32. To learn 51 new words in English, Spanish, French and Hebrew.



  33. To exercise 51 minutes per day.



  34. To say "thank you," "bless you" and "love you" 51 times daily.



  35. 51 acts of charity.



  36. 51 minutes of laughing each day.



  37. 51 minutes of forgiveness each week.



  38. To let go of old grievances.



  39. To forgive myself.



  40. To forgive others.



  41. To floss daily.



  42. To drink at least 51 cups of water a week.



  43. To increase my emergency fund by 51 percent.



  44. Improve deadline performance by 51 percent.



  45. To increase my income by 51 percent.



  46. To write 51 percent more each day.



  47. To pray more and to complain less.



  48. To look at the moon through a telescope.



  49. To climb 51 stairs a day.



  50. To think of 51 reasons to be at peace with myself.



  51. To think of 51 reasons to be grateful for friends, family and loved ones.

_________
Sharon is the author of the Frugal Duchess: How to Live Well and Save Money -- a coming of age memoir about money -- and a contributing writer in Wise Bread's 10,0001 Ways to Live Large on a Small Budget.


7 comments:

Mama Mahvelous said...

I love your list - very inspiring. I almost don't want to wait for my birthday to make a list of my own!

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

love this - I'm 31 in a couple of weeks, I'm going to have to figure out how to spend my next year in style.

happy birthday

Mary in CO said...

Happy Birthday, Sharon! I'm celebrating my bday tomorrow, and you've inspired me to create my own list: 54 items long. What an frugally awesome way to celebrate!

God bless ya, hun!

bluntmoney said...

Happy birthday weekend :)

Unknown said...

Enjoy your blog!
Very good list of goals...

Happy Birthday to you,
A Devoted RSS feed reader,
Nancy

Hilarie said...

What a great way to celebrate your birthday! Thanks for the inspiration.

ChiefFamilyOfficer said...

Happy belated birthday! I look forward to reading your follow-up post in a year :)