Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Ed Burns: Subway Travel & Frugal Detour from Hollywood

Actor Ed Burns is schooling his young daughter on the value of a subway ride and a low-profile, non-Hollywood lifestyle, according to this recent item in Us Magazine. See the third photo on right hand column on this link.


'ED BURNS (waiting for the train with 3-year-old daughter Grace ) tells Us about not going Hollywood with his family: "We live in New York and stay away from all this as much as we can."--Us Magazine


I enjoy taking my own children and my journalism students on bus trips around Miami. For some kids, these public transportation field trips are a first-time commute. But I think it's important to demonstrate the benefits and uses of public transportation.

I've used subway and bus systems in New York, Paris and London. Public transportation represents a frugal and eco-friendly way to commute. This green transportation guide from TreeHugger has excellent links about public transportation.

TreeHugger also has 10 Top Tips for a Green Commute. Here a few of my favorites from that list:

"8. Buy fare saver tickets.
Return,weekly/monthly, or off-peak bus/train tickets are often significantly cheaper than single ride tickets, which will encourage you to use said bus/train more often.

9. Plan your trip.
Obtain timetable and route-maps for your journey to know what to expect in advance. Many municipal public transport systems now have free online databases than will take your staring point and destination and calculate the fastest times and best route for your trip. This can take the uncertainty out of public transport travel."

______________



Digg!

The Frugal Duchess Booktique
The Frugal Duchess of Beauty Store

Book Shop of Fear
The Poetry & Drama Queen
Frugal Jazz & Blues
Frugal Comic Book Connection
__

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I consider South Beach to be a mini-Manhattan. No need to have a car here. Love the South Beach Local that loops around town. Goes right to the Publix. When I go to Target, I take the bus to the Metrorail which stops right in front of the Dadeland North store. Juat need to be careful of what I buy since I will be carrying it all home. I save tons of money by taking the bus instead of a taxi when I go to Downtown Miami. I can easily and accurately schedule my transit trips here:
http://sfrtp.cinrtosfl.com/hiwire?.a=iTripPlanning&.s=a18a15