Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Visualization Earns Millions: A Super Bowl Lesson & One Writer's Memory File

Yeah. There's been a lot has been written about the power of visualization. But today's sports pages show how visualization will punt millions of dollars into the hands of the New York Giants. Expect hefty multi-million dollar endorsement deals and other profitable perks for quarterback Eli Manning and various players from the Giants following the 17-14 late-fourth quarter (underdog) victory over the New England Pats. It was the best Super Bowl game that I've ever watched or listened to on the radio: Giants' Super Bowl victory

Cynics dismiss visualization has touchy-feely New Age crap. But visualization exercises can yield hard cash and a bottom line impact. Consider the following scenario, which was reported in the sports section of today's Miami Herald.


Night before Game Day: Giants Coach Tom Coughlin:
told his players to visualize their dreams and imagine in their minds what it would be like Sunday if they shocked the world.

''I tell the players it's good to dream,'' Coughlin said. "It's good to dream and visualize and see yourself in those circumstances and situations.'' --(from
A 'tremendous' feeling for Giants)

I used visualization exercises to write a book, which will be out this spring. ( What I Learned about Money from Writing a Book ) Old friends and family know that I have been trying to write a book for over 20 years. The text has taken different shapes and genres, but after two decades, I finally have a manuscript that I really like. And it doesn't matter that I completed my first book at 49. It's the journey that counts and I've packed my travel bag with the following visualization tools:


1. Magazine images. I collect images that spell out success in my terms. These images include smiling children, a beautiful house in the Hamptons, pretty gardens and spa vacations. Just glancing through that clip file makes me feel like I've had a spa date or an upbeat meeting with a financial planner.

2. Written goals: About once a year, I fill a small index card with a wish-list of career and personal goals. One year, for example, I really wanted 10 new dress suits for work. The Lesson: Be careful what you wish for. Out of the blue, different women gave me lots of hand-me-down suits. I have kept some and given others away.

3. Positive affirmations. It's so corny but it works. I have a list of about 20 affirmations and on a regular basis, I pick out one affirmation and write it down 10 times. For example:


  1. I am saving six months of salary in an emergency fund.

  2. I am saving six months of salary in an emergency fund.

  3. I am saving six months of salary in an emergency fund. etc.

The trick -- according to some experts -- is to write and repeat the affirmations in the present tense. For example, even if I have not yet fully funded that emergency fund, using the present tense helps make that goal more attainable.

4. Collect positive slogans: From magazines, newspapers, books and websites, I collect various inspirational phrases. Often short phrases -- including slogans from ad campaigns --pack lots of insight into a few words that stick in my mind.

5. Pray. I say a lot of prayers, including: Master of the Universe: Don't let me a bag lady.

~~~~

Sharon Harvey Rosenberg is the author of The Frugal Duchess of South Beach: How to Live Well and Save Money... Anywhere!, which will be published in the Spring of 2008 by DPL Press.

1 comment:

Father Sez said...

Hi Duchess,

I follow 2 of your suggestions. I have reminders on my hp for the affirmations, about 10 of them I read daily.

I also write down goals.

Both habits I have found to be fulfilling.