Friday, December 29, 2006

Kiddie Houses that Look Like the Big House

Forget the refrigerator box house, a blanket/tented villa or even the fabled tree house!The latest trends: kiddie houses that are real structures and exact replicas of mom-and-dad's house, according to this feature in today's Wall Street Journal.

The price tag: $15,000 for one mini-me playhouse and some price tags top $100,000.
"The lavish replicas, which can include such grown-up amenities as hardwood floors and media rooms with satellite TVs, generally cost from $10,000 to $100,000. Some run even higher than that, exceeding the median price of a single-family home ($218,000 in November."--Source: WSJ

In my house, we're divided over this issue. My husband, an interior designer/construction maven, is thrilled over the concept. "I kinda like it," he said, when I waved the hard copy of the WSJ under his nose.

Me? Give me blocks. Give me boxes. Give me blankets and give me the money that's spent on little houses that look just like the big house.

________________

Digg!

The Frugal Duchess Boutique
______________

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

$100,000 for a kiddie house !:) ...man I would like to hate rich people who can afford that.

Anonymous said...

The issue is when people who can't afford those are buying them to keep up with the perceives Joneses.

Plus, when kids start out that way, how can they go up from there? No wonder kids whine about dorm rooms.

I have a new post up (for a series) that I think you'll like! Check it out. :)

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant to type "perceived" Joneses. :)