Thursday, March 15, 2007

Frugal & Rich: 10 Reasons I'd Save Even With Wealth

When looking for a gown to wear to a family wedding, I browsed through Marshall's and I also checked into an upscale boutique. In both stores, I saw the same gown, but the Marshall's version was about one-third the price of the boutique counterpart. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I was stunned by the huge price difference.

That moment of comparison shopping made me realize that even if I had a lot of money, I'd still live frugally. Here's why:

10 Reasons Why I'd Save Even With Wealtlh

  1. I would give more money to charity, including scholarship funds for inner city kids.
  2. I would save money in order to justify my purchase of the best court-side season tickets for Miami Heat games and NBA playoffs. I'd take my boys and I would also find some fun outing for my husband and daughter. They have to do something fun while me & the boys are at the games.
  3. I would be frugal in order to spend more money on my favorite projects and hobbies.
  4. I would save in fear of a downward shift in fortune. I, too, have my bag lady fears, something that even Oprah has confessed to.
  5. I would be frugal in order to pay back my parents, siblings and friends for all their years of generosity.
  6. I would donate money to various educational institutions, public and private. The list would include my parents Alma Mater: Cheyney University, Georgetown University (My school) and the schools that my children attend. I would also give lots of money to my syngogue.
  7. I would save in order to conserve the environment. I have too much stuff already.
  8. I would continue to clip coupons & shop sales with my savings going to greater purchases of organic produce. I would buy a larger share in a food co-op and provide several scholarship shares for those who can not afford to shop organically.
  9. I would save so that my children could live comfortably.
  10. And I'd live frugally just for the discipline.



The Frugal Duchess Booktique
The Frugal Duchess of Beauty Store
Book Shop of Fear
The Poetry & Drama Queen
Frugal Jazz & Blues


No comments: