Quick Plot Summary: Credit-card debt is dangerous/expensive and the financial burden forces you to work overtime and to sell your soul.
Here's my rundown of the show and the financial tips:
The series focuses on MileyStewart / Hannah Montana played by Miley Cyrus, who lives a double life as an average teenage girl at school during the day and a famous pop singer at night, concealing her real identity from the public other than her close friends and her family. --From Wikepedia
1. Miley Stewart/Hannah Montana played by Miley Cyrus (The title character)
2. Robby Ray Stewart played by Billy Ray Cyrus (The Dad)
3. Jackson Stewart played by Jason Earles ( Hannah's Brother)
The Credit Card Episode: Basically, The Dad gives the two teens credit cards to be used for "emergencies only." Big Trouble.
1. The Brother loses his credit card repeatedly during the episode. He misplaces the card inside the piano and even inside an avocado sandwich.
Lesson: Don't give cards to kids who are prone to lose things.
2. Prompted by a friend, Hannah Montana/Miley goes to a flea market just to window shop.
Lesson: The road to financial trouble begins innocently even at a flea market. The main character did not intend to spend anything, but ultimately spent well over a $1,000. She would have saved money by just staying home, reading or playing sports.
3. Her spending spree began when she split her pants and that "emergency" prompted her to buy a new skirt, which launched the spending binge.
Lesson: Parents should define terms when dealing with kids and money. For example, teens and parents have different ideas about emergency.
4. After buying the skirt, Hannah/Miley purchased shoes, belts, a hand massage machine, carpet and bags of expensive and unnecessary stuff.
Lesson: One bad purchase leads to another. What's more, she had a tortured rationalization for each item. Personally, I winced with a been there/bought that moment of self-recognition.
5. Hannah tried to take back the merchandise based on her faith in the one-day money-back promise from a flea market merchant. No luck. The Flea market was gone the next day.
Lesson: Shop carefully. Know your stores.
6. To pay the credit card bill before her father found out, Hannah/Miley sold her own celebrity merchandise on eBay. Her online yard sales is big financial hit.!
Lesson: eBay is a quick source of cash. Hold your own flea market (online or traditional) to earn money.
7. The Dad finds out after tracking the sales of online merchandise linked to Hannah Montana
Lesson: We leave lots of fingerprints and footsteps on the Internet.
The Frugal Duchess Booktique
The Frugal Duchess of Beauty Store
Book Shop of Fear
The Poetry & Drama Queen
Frugal Jazz & Blues