I read a lot of magazines and the September issue of Woman's Day has a great article by Mary Hunt about shopping.
She offers an anti-wasteful shopping pop quizz.
Before making a purchase ask yourself the following questions:
1) Is this item really necessary? (if no, put it back on the shelf)
2) Is it affordable?(if no, put it back)
3) Do I own another item that will serve the same purpose? (if yes, don't buy)
4) Is it possible to wait and buy a cheaper substitute later? (if yes, don't buy)
5) Have I really shopped around for the best deal? (if no, don't buy)
6) What happens if I delay this purchase? This is the trick question. (if you're not going to lose the home of your dreams, the perfect shoe or a night's sleep, forget it!)
By the way, Mary Hunt has written a new edition of her book: Debt-Proof Living. Woman's Day is giving away free copies of the book during the entire month of August.
No purchase to enter. Here's the link for submitting your entry: Mary Hunt book contest