Friday, October 13, 2006

Beyond Fiscal Infidelities: 10 Lies I Tell Myself About Money

Recently MSN featured an insightful piece about lies we tell our spouses about money.

But what about self-deception?

Here’s my list of 10 lies I tell the face in the mirror:


1. This purchase will pay for itself.

2. Sometimes, girl, you have to spend money to save money.

3. I’ll work overtime to pay for it.

4. I’ll save double next month.

5. It’s only money. How can you put a price tag on personal freedom and expression?

6. I’m having fun; don’t look at the bill.

7. I’ll be so rich by the time the payment is due.

8. It’s a long-term investment.

9. I'm not spoiled. I just need it now!

10. This will never go out of style.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true about the lies we tell ourselves.
Mine are (in no order)...
1) The stock will go back up (stocks on the way down usually fall farther).
2) It's an investment piece of clothing (that will be out of style or not fit in a year).
3) If I needed to, I could always sell that piece of art/antique/collectible for more than I bought it for (I never will).
4) The opportunity might not come again (it usually does)
5) Just this once (til it becomes a habit)
6) I don't have time to shop around (no, I don't WANT to spend the time to shop around)
7) His advice has always been solid (sure but everyone has a bad day)
8) If I'm going to be an author, I should buy books (no, if I'm going to be an author, I should WRITE books, I don't need to buy them).
9) She's my mom (who will need the money more when she retires and has less)
and
10) Christmas only comes once a year (every year over my entire lifetime)

Anonymous said...

omg, so true! i say those to myself too. however, i say to myself, "i'm not buying, i'm investing in [something]." btw, i'm a jersey girl from bergen county (near the g. w. bridge).

Frugal Duchess said...

Thanks Kimber and JJ for your insightful and funny additions to my list.

Kimber:

I am so guilty of #2, 3 and 5 from your list.

JJ or should I say NJJ (North Jersey Jen):
I've also used the buying vs. investing debate to rationalize purchases.

Thanks to both of you for visiting!

Anonymous said...

There’s a great moment in an episode of The Simpsons where Marge finds a designer dress on a bargain rack that has been marked down from some ridiculous price to something like $95. She knows she still can’t afford it, even with the discount, but she really wants the dress. To justify her purchasing of it, she says “Oh well, it’ll be good for the economy.” This resonates with me every time I see that episode, as if to say that if we don’t make this one specific impulse mid-ticket purchase, the local economy will collapse around our ears. Ha!

Anonymous said...

So true, Sharon. So true.