Thursday, February 15, 2007

Frugal Notes from Norah Jones on 60 Minutes

When is enough, enough? That question was elegantly answered by Grammy winner Norah Jones during a recent interview with Katie Couric on 60 minutes.

"I feel like I've had my cake and I've eaten it and it tasted great. And I don't need another piece." --Norah Jones, singer

I like that philosophy because it sings directly to me. Sometimes I sprint through life with a large shopping cart in my own 24/7 reality show. The goal: I try to stuff lots of experiences, merchandise and money into the cart as quickly as possible.

In my mad-dash moments, I forget to enjoy myself. I gulp down the cake, but I don't taste the flavor of the batter or the icing. Basically, I need to slow down. My friend Leah always likes to quote her grandmother Meme, a frugal woman I've featured before.

Meme, who passed away a few year ago, loved to say: "Slow down, I'm in a hurry." Her point: Rushing often costs more in money & time. Meme was a frugal 93-year-old woman, who saved string and lots of money.

Slowing down will not make me a slacker; I'll just move smarter. Despite her laid back attitude, Norah Jones is not a slacker. The Wall Street Journal reports that her recording success is boosting the otherwise lagging fortunes of EMI records.

Jones has sold over 30 million records over the last 10 years, which is more than any other female singer during that time period. But going forward, she told 60 minutes, she has no expectations:

"I don't expect to sell millions of records every time. I just don't think that's gonna be possible. I think that's a lucky thing that happens every once in a while," she says. --Norah Jones on 60 minutes


By the way, that same episode provided a thoughtful piece on Barack Obama.



"Photo of Sen. Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle: Courtesy of Jenny Dubin

______________

Digg!


The Frugal Duchess Booktique
The Frugal Duchess of Beauty Store
Book Shop of Fear
The Poetry & Drama Queen
Frugal Jazz & Blues

__

No comments: